thebruce: (Default)
[personal profile] thebruce
A month or so ago I picked up a couple of servers that were being mustered out from work.
They're pretty good boxes, Tyan 2507T Mainboards with dual 866 PIII Coppermine procs, and a gig of RAM. The one has a 34G SCSI drive and the other has 5 34GB drives. They both have 160MB/s SCSI RAID controllers, nice stuff. Not really today's gamer fast, but fast enough for a studio recording box and a fileserver for home. And at $50 each the price was right, hell the RAM alone was worth that.

So over the next several weeks I've been picking up odds and ends to make everything work; bought a 19" Sun monitor off E-Bay for $45 and picked it up here locally, saving shipping costs. Bought a DVD ROM and DVD burner, and a KVM switch off E-Bay, and a connector to hook my other Sun monitor, which is a Hitachi GDM20E20 with a 13W3 connector up to what is going to be my Studio box. The idea is to end up with 4 complete computers, two at my computer desk being the main e-mail/surfing/etc. computer (W2KPro) and the file server (Linux) connected through the KVM switch to the 'new' Sun monitor, then the "Studio" box across the room running to the old Sun (Hitachi) monitor, and then another Linux desktop upstairs with the flatpanel lcd monitor for Susi's sewing room.

I researched all the stuff on the GDM20E20 monitor, and all indications are it should work with just the connector adapter. Nope. Won't turn on. Connected it back up to my Sun box to make sure it still works at all, and it works perfectly. Back on the adapter to the VGA output of either Linux or Windows box, and nothing, won't turn on. So it looks like I have one more monitor to buy. Drat.

So then on to the next project; installing Linux on the file server. Suffice it to say that I'm having difficulty. And shouldn't be, we run nothing but Linux on RAID hardware at work, and I *built* this stinkin' server myself.

Then give up on all that for now, until I've got some breathing room as far as time goes, and put the flat-panel lcd monitor on the Studio box for now, Susi'll have to wait another week or two for a Linux box upstairs...I've got to get some recording done.

I had already installed Adobe Audition on that windows box, but I really don't know how to use it very well yet. Got the sound card all hooked up and everything working and recorded a guitar track perfectly. Then try to do vocal on the second track. Best performance *ever* of the Ballad of St. Anne's Reel, and it didn't record. Damn.

So, muck about with the software a bit, trying to figger what I did wrong, and finally get it to record, but what its doing is recording my voice on top of the guitar and putting a mix on track 2. Noooooo.......

Before bedtime, I went ahead and put the studio program I know, Multitrack Studio, on the box, and that's how we'll do the rehearsal CD...tonight.

July 2017

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 29th, 2026 07:28 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios